If you didn’t think you would ever want a beard trimmer, the great Covid-19 pandemic of 2020 may have given you the opportunity to rethink your logic. Guys that never thought they would have to cut there own hair are now looking for hair and beard trimmers to hold them over until they can get to a barber, or in many cases are finding it better to trim themselves.
It doesn’t matter if you have a long beard or a short beard you can benefit from having your own beard trimmer to keep things looking well neat and trim. You can get buy with a cheap beard trimmer, but for just a few extra dollars you can get a quality beard trimmer that will make the job effortless.
For convenience we’ll focus on cordless beard trimmers today. These give you the flexibility to go outside to trim your beard or get away from the sink to where you can let your trimmings fall. There are also trimmers with a vacuum component, but thats for another day to we’ll focus on a simple cordless beard trimmer.
Best Cordless Beard Trimmer – Summary
Use the guide below to help you in your search for the best beard trimmer for your needs. Continue reading to learn more details on our top 5 beard trimmers. We put an emphasis on simplicity, so our favorites are bias toward being easy to use. It should be noted that these are all top picks so you really can’t go wrong with any of them, you just want to match your needs to the features.
Our Favorite Beard Trimmers Reviewed
1. Panasonic Cordless Men’s Beard Trimmer With Precision Dial
- Personalized Cutting and Sculpting: An adjustable dial with 19 settings to get the exact look you...
- Precision 45-Degree Blade Cutting System: Ultra-sharp, hypoallergenic blades make this an ideal...
- Rubberized, Ergonomic Grip for Maximum Comfort: Sleek design is easy to hold and gives total control...
- Wet/Dry Mens Trimmer: Waterproof, 100 % washable cordless mustache trimmer lets you comfortably trim...
The Panasonic ER-GB42-K model is as easy as it gets. It has 19 adjustable settings that can be set at the touch of a dial. No bag of combs or trimming guides to go through or keep track of. Your setting is at the turn of a dial.
This model also is waterproof making it perfect for using in the shower or using with shaving cream or other lubricants on the face. Because its waterproof cleaning is a snap. Simple run water through the blades and the channeled design will quickly let the water clean out all the stubble.
Even though many see you don’t need blade oil for lubrication of the 45 degree angled stainless steel blades. The manufacturer still recommends the use of blade oil in the user guide.
The trimming attachment is shapes so that it lifts and cuts the hair even if it is laying flat. The 19 adjustable settings allow you to set the trim heights between 1 and 10 millimeters in .5 millimeter increments. While how quickly the blades wear will vary depending on your usage usually you’ll need to replace the blades every couple of years. The Panasonic site didn’t mention it but the following GB-40 Blade replacement will work for this trimmer even though this trimmer is a GB-42. We’ve included the link for your convenience.
In Summary, precision-cut stainless steel, fast action blades are Hypo-Allergenic, Rubber Grip handle for easy handling. Includes AC Recharger stand with indicator, Cleaning brush and 1-Comb Attachment. Cordless operation of 50 minutes on a 15-Hour charge. If your looking for a trimmer that is a little more colorful, check our our review of the Milano Series GB40-S Beard Trimmer.
2. Remington PG6170 Crafter trim & Detail Kit (2nd Best Cordless Beard Trimmer Selection)
- 19 length and style settings - Trim it all. This 12-piece kit includes a full size trimer, a detail...
- Max lithium Power - up to 180 minutes of cordless runtime with every full charge.
- Titanium coated blades - tough enough for Ya? The precision-cut blades are coated in titanium 3x...
- Wetech 100% waterproof - This trimmer is 100% waterproof, so you can trim anywhere wet or dry, even...
While the Remington PG6170 does come with a few extra’s, they are minimalistic and we found them to be useful despite having to keep track of them.
Here are the attachments/accessories:
- 10 setting adjustable comb
- Nose and Ear Trimmer
- Detail Shaver
- Detail Trimmer
- 5 snap on combs
- Carrying case
This razor can run for up to a whopping 3 hours it easily has the longest run time of any of our top cordless picks. It also includes the ability to do a quick 5 minute charge that will keep it going for 1 trimming session when you are in a hurry.
Another nice feature of this trimmer is the turbo mode. If you have a particularly tough beard you can increase the power at a touch of a button.
The blades for this razor are coated in titanium for longer lasting blades, Remington touts 3x longer than their normal blades. When you do need to replace the blades or if your like me and get an extra blade at the time I purchase my razor you can get the replacement blade HERE.
The PG6170 is completely water proof meaning you can shave and trim wet or dry. This convenience factor moved this beard trimmer up this list for us. We also like the tapered neck design it just felt sleeker when using it.
The only improvement in our minds for this trimmer is less attachments to stay with our simplicity theme. But really with the attachments, long use time, and carrying case, this is really a great deal and we think most will be satisfied with this model. It also comes in a platinum color if copper is not for you.
3. Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Lithium Ion T-blade Trimmer
- SELF-SHARPENING BLADES: It is essential for completing detailed work on hair, beards, and mustaches...
- DURABLE: This cordless beard and hair trimmer for men has a long-lasting lithium-ion rechargeable...
- QUALITY GIFT: Men's beard trimmers are an excellent personal present. For every occasion, dads,...
- USED BY PROFESSIONALS: Andis Trimmers are used by professionals in the salon and barber industries...
The Andis brand is well know and it is no surprise that is is on our short list of beard trimmers. The biggest question you may have is why did we choose the Andis 32400 model over their tried and true T-Outliner model? The answer is we opted for the sleeker look, slightly longer use time, lower price, and the lighter weight. The T-Outliner did have more strokes per minute but we went for the look in this case, Beauty over Brawn if you will.
The Andis 32400 model is intended for dry use, so if you are one that prefers to trim in the shower, this is not the correct model for you. The blades were sharp and did a great job none the less. As with other trimmers you’ll want to replace the blades every couple of years for normal use, more frequently for heavy use. The replacement blades can be found here: Replacement Blade
The 2 hour use time for this trimmer is plenty of time to take care of the toughest beards. It does however take 2 hours and ~15min to charge.
The 4 comb attachments and sleek lightweight design of the trimmer meet our no fuss no muss attitude toward trimmers. All in all this is a stylish trimmer with out a lot of extras to keep track of.
4. Philips Norelco Multi-groom Series 7000 Men’s Grooming Kit
- The all in 1 trimmer for your choice of beard, head, body, and/or face hair styling with 23 pieces...
- The DualCut technology offers maximum precision and includes 2x more self sharpening blades that...
- To deliver maximum torque and power, the all in 1 trimmer includes a full metal motor and a drive...
- Our unique cutting guards are reinforced with ultra strong fiberglass material to prevent bending...
The Philips Norelco Series 7000 grooming kit is for the guy who wants to trim everything. It comes with an attachment for everything! Whether your trimming your face, hair or your body there is an attachment for you.
While having all of these attachments doesn’t meet our minimalist criteria, it is fully water proof making the trimmer easy to clean and giving you the flexibility to wet or dry trim. The shape of the MG7750/49 trimmer is sleek and easy to use on all parts of your body.
The self sharpening blades allow you to delay changing blades for up to 5 years depending on your use of the trimmer. The dual cut technology of the Philips Norelco trimmer provides a nice even trim. In doing a quick search we found a replacement blade: Replacement Blade However if it lasts 5 years, you may be looking for a new trimmer anyway.
The trimmer comes with a nose trimmers, a foil shaver and a shave time that is a remarkable 5 hours, tops on our list. The combs for this trimmer range from 1 millimeters on the body comb to 16 millimeters on the hair comb giving you a wide range of trimming options. One other feature we liked with this kit is that the combs are re-enforced so that they give straight reliable cuts.
5. Wahl Stainless Steel Lithium Ion+ Beard and Nose Trimmer for Men
- Complete grooming system includes 3 multipurpose attachments are perfect for all facial hair styles:...
- Self-sharpening precision blades include patented technology for superior cutting for all hair types...
- Cordless rechargeable beard trimmer for men is equipped with a long-running lithium-ion rechargeable...
- Wahl Clipper is the number 1 brand of beard trimmers & hair clippers; The brand used by...
The Wahl Stainless Steel trimmer is your traditional beard trimmer and has been the standard for years. The functions are simple and easy to use be easily swapping out the 4 heads. While not as simple as the adjustable razors there is something to be said about the high quality single purpose attachments.
One of the distinguishing features for the Wahl trimmers is that they work in both 110v and 220v environments making it ideal for international travel. We also liked the 6 hour run time. It also has a quick charge feature that will quick charge in 1 minute to give you 3 minutes of use. The other technical feature that changed in 2019 is charging cord is two pronged instead of single pronged making it more stable.
The 4 heads and the 12 attachment guides give you all the flexibility you need to keep your facing looking neat and trimmed. The t-blade, razor, trimmer and personal trimmer (for nose & ears) are intuitive and the self sharping blade design will keep them sharp for years to come.
With all of these features one may ask why its down the list, and really the only negative based on how we reviewed these models was that it wasn’t a wet/dry trimmer. If you like this model and the only thing keeping you from getting it is being able to use it in the shower and using water to clean it, you should check out Wahl's Aqua Deluxe wet/dry version of this razor.
This product is a solid choice for a cordless beard trimmer.
6. ConairMAN Super Stubble Ultimate Flexhead
- Men's Flexhead Trimmer: The ConairMAN SuperStubble Flexhead trimmer is our most advanced stubble...
- Adjusts To Your Face: Featuring rechargeable lithium battery for reliable cordless power, this...
- Respect The Ritual: Don't crack under the pressure to look good; ConairMAN has beard trimmers, home...
- Innovative Grooming Tools: From hair and beard clippers to trimmers, shavers, epilators and home...
The unique feature of the Conair Man Supper stubble trimmer is its flexible floating head. Its design allow you the trimmer head to move with the line of your face as you move the razor. The digital display makes it easy to see what you’ve set the height to for your trim.
For edging simply flip the comb back exposing the trimmer for details trimming. The adjustable height has 24 settings, the smallest being .4mm. This is a little taller than most trimmers if you like to trim a little closer than .4mm you may want to look at some other options.
The Charger needs to charge for a full 3 hours before your first use, the manufacturer claims this will give more consistent performance. After that you need to charge for 90 mins to get 1 hour of use.
This trimmer made our list because of the unique swivel head and the adjustable height so that you don’t have to change out combs for different heights. Its other ease of use feature is that it is waterproof and usable in the shower and you can rinse it in the sink. If you would prefer a dry only trimmer Conair also has a similar dry razor the ConairMAN i-Stubble Ultimate Flexhead Trimmer . Read the review of the Conair I Stubble trimmer review for more details.
What is a Beard Trimmer?
A beard trimmer is similar to electric hair trimmers that you see at barber shops or hair salons.However, beard trimmers are specifically designed to conform better to a mans facial contours. A beard cutting gadget that makes personal facial hair care easier… offering you more benefits than the old school razor and scissors. These contouring functions found in some beard trimmers – will give you more control and better precision when trimming your mustache, shaping your gotie or managing unruly sideburns. Some standard hair clippers have beard trimmer capabilities built in – so depending on your needs you may want to find an all-in-one model.
As mentioned above – beard trimmers are hair clippers designed specifically to trim facial hair using either a rotating or oscillating razor. Depending on the models design, trimmers will cut facial hair to desired length – shaping your beard, mustache, gotie, sideburns or can be used to remove hair completely.
Most beard trimmers these days are battery powered and also come with a power adapter to re-charge unit. Although, if you are wanting a more powerful trimmer – the old plug-in only hair trimmers will give you more torque than a battery powered trimmer. These can be beneficial for those of us who have coarse hair.
The various types of trimmers on the market today include: All-in-One trimmers, which are designed to cut long or short hair – beard, head or body grooming as well as dual trimmers, where one end is a beard trimmer and the other end is an electric shaver. Or, if your just need a standard beard trimmer there are tons to chose from as well. Design features can help you manage long hair, a short stubble look, shape/groom mustache, goatee or sideburns.
There are many different kinds of beard trimmers with different features, including removable or built in distance combs for styling different lengths of facial hair. Some even have memory feature that allow the user to set the trimmer to a particular setting or adjustable speeds to cut and shape coarse or thin hair. Some beard trimmers are designed with an ergonomic handle, so you can use the trimmer at different angles with ease. Some are fully water resistant so you can even use in the shower and many if not fully submersible are designed to be washable – so you can get those pesky hairs out with ease. Many rechargeable beard trimmers have an LED charging light that indicates when the unit has reached its full charge.
Ultimately having a good Beard trimmer at home will give you quick access to maintaining a clean looking beard, goatee, or mustache. Keeping our facial hair tidy on a daily basis is what were all hoping for when looking for a quality beard trimmer. Beard trimmers can also provide a more precise trimming than disposable razors or an electric shaver, and can be used to trim or shape most lengths of hair around the face and neck area.
Depending on the model you decide on – you may need additional grooming tools for getting those hard to reach places. Always trim your beard when dry, wet hair will always appear longer, which can result in trimming more than you intend. If you sport a longer beard, than it is always a good idea to comb (straighten) hair before trimming.
What We Looked for in our Best Beard Trimmer Reviews
With the vast amount of trimmers and options to choose from…We needed a way to narrow down the list. It’s important to know that we think all 6 of these are great choices, its just a matter of looking at what each does best and whether that meets your specific needs.
The first criteria was to narrow down the type of trimmer, for this list we limited it to cordless beard trimmers. They could do other things but at a minimum it needed to be cordless and work for beards.
The next thing we looked at is convenience, This was comprised of two things 1) How many attachments are there? Were there too many to keep track of or was it just a small amount. 2) Could it be used in water. We gave a preference to those that could be used in water to stay with the convenience theme. It should be noted here if you never plan to use yours with water and cleaning with water isn’t a priority for you some of the lower models may rank higher for you.
Ask yourself the following questions before your search for a good beard trimmer:
- Price – What are you willing to pay? What is a reasonable price range for your budget?
- Blade Precision – What kind of blades does the beard trimmer have and how well does it work for any beard lengths? Does it have adjustable beard length options? Does it have a memory setting to remember your specific speed/shape and length?
- Ease of Use – How will the design of the trimmer help me shave? How heavy or bulky is the trimmer? Will it’s design help me in the shaving process. Does it have too many features you won’t need?
- Battery life – What type of batteries (if battery operated) are used? Are they rechargeable? How long will it take to charge and how long will they last? ?
- Features – What features will help you and which ones could you live without?
- Durability – What are your expectations of how long your next beard trimmer will last?
- Warranty – What kind of warranty (if any) is offered when purchased.
Another obvious tool to determine if a product is worthy or not – is by reading customer reviews. Customer satisfaction is what we are looking for. However, you need to be careful – looking at the rating of a product and reading a few reviews may not work for you every item. For example: A beard trimmer with a positive rating of 5 stars with only a few reviews is not necessarily better than a trimmer with hundreds of reviews and a rating of 4 stars. Also, you need to determine how long a particular trimmer has been on the market. This is usually why it may not have as many reviews. This can make it very difficult to analyze, especially if you don’t have the time to read lots of reviews. It also should be noted that many reviews are paid so they have a bias. As a rule of thumb read the top negative and positive reviews looking for a theme of re-occurring problems. It doesn’t take very long to tell if a product has an issue.