Pros: The trimmer is best choice if you want to get a specific “stubble” look or “five o’clock shadow” look without taking metal to your face. You can easily adjust the length from 0.4 to 5.0, it’s great for men with different styles of facial hair.
Cons: The trimmer is extremely susceptible to moisture, and if droplets of water get into it this can make the buttons non-responsive.
The personal grooming market is full of Remington’s, Wahl’s, Philips, Braun’s and Conair’s, which all offer to change the manner in which you trim, style, and maintain your facial hair. The Conair GMT900 iStubble Facial Hair Trimmer is one of the leading stubble trimmers available, promising innovative stubble control technology that will reshape your trimming routine.
The stylish and cordless GMT900 delivers on its promise, offering expert precision, ease of use and consistent results to all its users. It is with this in mind that I rate the GMT900 with 4.0 stars, based on its ability to facilitate shadow control, neat stubble and a short beard.
Superior stubble control
Whereas most trimmers require you to attach different comb lengths to style your hair, the GMT900 uses electronic (motorized) length control. The 15 adjustable length settings range from 0.4mm to 5.0mm, with increments of 0.2mm from 0.4mm to 2.0 mm, and increments of 0.5mm from 2.0mm to 5.0mm. The buttons are located on the face of the trimmer; below the LCD display and above the on/off button. For an extremely close shave, flip back the comb and use the trimmer like an electric razor.
The GMT900 is outfitted with a floating contouring head which gives you a super smooth and even trim. This heads tracks the contours of your face in an effort to achieve superior accuracy and maximum comfort, as well as prevent the hair tugging and nicks seen in other facial trimmers.
Due to the design of the head you do not have to estimate what the correct angle for trimming is, instead all that is required is for you to press the trimmer flat on your face. Lastly, the need for soothing aftershave is eliminated, as the trimmer does not irritate the skin.
The GMT900 requires an initial 16 hour charge, and thereafter a rapid charging system combined with a dual battery system provides you with long lived battery life that is quick to replenish. There is also a battery indicator that informs you when your battery is running low. Lastly the trimmer automatically switches off after a minute when it is not in use, and this helps conserve battery.
The blade of the trimmer easily comes off when you need to clean it with the provided brush. Furthermore, maintenance is minimal and involves oiling the blades once every month.
Features and specifications
- The construction of the iStubble is exceptionally sturdy, comprising of a plastic housing and comb attachment, as well as metal blades.
- The aforementioned blades have been formed through an electro-chemical process, which has resulted in unmatched sharpness, accuracy and durability. Moreover, you only require one or two passes at most to attain your desired look.
- The iStubble has a lit and crystal clear LCD display that presents the settings you are working with. This includes the trimming length you are using.
- The compact and ergonomic design of the trimmer makes it easy to hold and use. The iStubble measures 3.5 by 7.2 by 11 inches and weighs 14.4 oz, and this fits comfortably in your hand.
- There is adequate insulation around the motor of the trimmer, and this prevents the trimmer from uncomfortably heating up when you are using it.
- The iStubble is exceedingly durable, and this is proven by the 5 year warranty that comes along with it.
Customer reviews and scores
The Conair GMT900 iStubble Facial Hair Trimmer has shown remarkable ratings on several personal grooming and shopping sites. 559 reviewers on Amazon have given the trimmer a 3.9 star rating, with over 73% of all reviewers giving the GMT900 a minimum of 4 stars. Additionally 278 reviewers have given the trimmer a perfect score, citing excellent performance, top construction and ease of use.
Like every other personal grooming tool, the GMT900 comes with its own drawbacks. Firstly, the trim length resets when you turn the trimmer off instead of saving the current length. This means that each time you trim your stubble you will need to manually set the trim length.
Secondly, the trimmer is extremely susceptible to moisture, and if droplets of water get into it this can make the buttons non-responsive. To combat trimmer malfunction, do not place the trimmer near the sink or use it on wet hair.